New Year's Resolutions: Heave Ho!

1/13/2016

Heave Ho! 

Sharing New Year’s Resolutions is like having an action plan. I secretly hope that posting it on the blog, publicly, will make me feel more realistic and responsible about my wishes and goals.

When I started blogging I tried embracing it all: participating in contests, buying fancy notions and fabric, taking classes or joining communities to say the least. It was an overwhelming experience. And although I would like to continue doing most of it this year too, I would like to be much more selective, focusing only on the most relevant and rewarding moments.


I will sew with a plan
In 2016, I am determined to sew only what I really need. I have an ambitious plan to make eight garments by the end of March, three of which are transitional pieces that can be worn until the end of April, and two can be worn throughout the year. Nice plan – just need to start working on it!


I will sew from my fabric stash
I own too much fabric. There are sewers who love their stash. My stash frightens me in a way. It constantly shifts my focus. I bought most of my fabric with ‘what if’ in mind, but when I am finally ready to sew it, it often turns into an ‘if-only’ experience. I have a few beautiful silk prints, for example, but the yardage is not enough to make a beautiful flowing summer dress. What was I thinking? So, why hoarding fabric at home, when I can always find a beautiful piece in a store, and, most importantly, when and only as much as I need. But before I get to this point, I need to drastically reduce my stash. Luckily, this season’s wardrobe plan can be accomplished using fabric I already have.


I will repair or upcycle damaged clothing
I started this year repairing two cashmere cardigans and other clothing for me and my family. It felt really good (I am a perfect housewife), not only because I was putting off this work for ages, but mostly since quite a few rather expensive clothes can be worn again. Some pieces need just a few stitches, others would benefit from more upcycling and embellishment. Not only does it save money but also keeps my clothing away from overstuffed landfills... ahem… most of the time it is boring, but I am a mature adult and I care for money and environment… I do


I will use embroidery in my sewing
I upped my embroidery skills last year, but I haven’t yet used any of it on the clothing I made. Making all those beautiful stitches and placing tiny beads in a sample is one thing, but taking the responsibility of embellishing the actual garment is another. What if the color scheme or proportions (or both) don’t work? What if it is too much glam? … This year I really want to stop being a coward change it. I am taking a risk! One of my next projects is an embroidered skirt and I keep my fingers crossed…


I will be a good blogger
Finally, I would like to blog more frequently than I was able to in the past couple of years. The blogging fatigue is gone and ideas keep flashing through my brain… I will focus on sharing, posting tutorials, reviews and behind-the-seams post. I want to be an active member of our steadily growing online sewing community again... Gawd, it feels so lonely here without my New York sewing friends. Is anyone reading me in Cyprus??? Hello?


What are your New Year's Sewing Resolutions? Please share



You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Not in Cyprus, but in Sweden :) I'm glad to hear about your resolutions, especially the last one about blogging - I've missed you in my reader. Here's to a happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stina, and a happy 2016 to you too! I've added your blog to my Bloglovin' list and will be following your Peacock Dress progress - your style picks look fabulous!

      Delete
  2. And also in Czech republic! I am looking forward to see more posts because your blog is always very helpful and interesting and you make truly beautiful garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. And The Netherlands! Happy New Year, Marina. May all your sewing and blogging dreams come true. I feel the same way about my stash. I had the 'what if ' experience more than once and it indeed tends to shift my focus. Not anymore! Well, if I live up to my 2016 plans....Looking forward to your first embroidered garment!
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Marianne! Wish you a lot of success with your 2016 plans! I wish there was some kind of stash-o-meter app that would count used yardage like calories and weight :) Let's hope we can get our 'stashes' under control ;)

      Delete
  4. I feel just like you do about my stash and about blogging! I have too much fabric that I bought with something specific in mind but now no longer want to make. As for my blog, I don't post as often as I want but truth be told, there are only so many hours in the day and life responsibilities get in the way...so I post when I can. Happy New Year to you - hope you accomplish all you have set out to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora from New Zealand. i always love your posts so please do keep blogging when the fancy takes you. I have finally got my stash out of boxes and into two big cupboards, so now I can see what I have and am using it more easily. I have given a lot that I knew I wouldn't use, away. Some things were lovely but with experience I now know they wouldn't work for me, and others were things I bought not knowing any better. I will be pleased with myself if I achieve any of your resolutions above! (I do still darn jerseys on occasion, but not socks unless they are handknitted).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading you in Boston...can't wait to see what you sew this year. You inspire me! ~Martina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading you in Germany. I would love to read more from you in 2016.i always learn so much and your posts are so inspiring. Here's to a Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading you in Florida...wishing you a wonderful and productive New Year! Love your resolutions! I can really relate to the embroidery goal, I need to take the risk and add more to my own sewing too. Looking forward to seeing what you make this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading you in Brooklyn. Truly appreciate your blog, I'm a beginning sewer and find so much inspiration in your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this in Kansas USA! Always enjoy your posts. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading in Australia! And part Cypriot! I love reading your posts and in fact want to go back and reread your skirt shape posts you did a couple (?) of years ago. I am going to stop being a coward with my nice fabric and (try) and not buy any more.. I'm 53 when am I going to wear it, if not now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm following from the UK. My stash overwhelms me, too. It seemed such a good thing to start off with! I can't do much in the first few months of the year because I'm making a wedding dress for my daughter but then...

    ReplyDelete
  13. new yorker reading you loud and clear, and missing you! i hope you stick to those resolutions, as i would quite selfishly LOVE to see 8 garments of yours by march :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading in New Jersey USA. Always enjoy your blog and looking forward to seeing these garments you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Marina, I'm reading your Blog from Germany! I love your blog and your writing style :) Thank you. You're a source of inspiration. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lost track of you for awhile but am happy to see you back. I need to follow your advice this year: work through my fabric stash and sew things I really need ( I refuse to buy RTW when I already own more than enough fabric).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe